By Robert L Zimdahl
What are the targets of agricultural technology? What may still the pursuits of agricultural technological know-how be? How do and the way may still the practitioners of agriculture handle complicated moral questions? those questions are explored during this huge publication in order that these in agriculture will commence an open dialoge at the ethics of agriculture.
Discussion of foundational values, of why we perform agriculture as we do, should still develop into a principal, instead of peripheral, a part of agricultural perform and schooling. If agricultural scientists don't enterprise forth to appreciate and form the moral base of the longer term, it will likely be imposed by way of others. principally autobiographical, this e-book covers subject matters reminiscent of clinical fact and fable, what agricultural study will be performed, an creation to ethics, ethical self assurance in agriculture, the relevance of ethics to agriculture, sustainability, and biotechnology.
- Written by means of a professional who has been engaged in agricultural schooling and learn for over 35 years
- Content is well comprehensible by way of non-philosophers
- The techniques of clinical fact and delusion are contrasted and in comparison
- Chapter sidebars spotlight vital innovations and will be used to have interaction scholars in additional dialogue
Read or Download Agriculture's Ethical Horizon PDF
Similar business ethics books
Top quality learn and case experiences that concentrate on the pro duties of accountants and the way they care for the moral concerns they face. This sequence beneficial properties articles on a extensive diversity of significant and well timed issues, together with professionalism, social accountability, moral judgment, and responsibility.
Strong governance is essential to the sustainability of firms and bettering caliber of lifestyles for all. Governance is way greater than a suite of ideas, it's a tradition and a weather of accountability, responsibility and equity that's deployed all through an establishment. during this new ebook the writer outlines the keys to strong governance.
This quantity overlooks the particular expressions and know-how of volunteering within the lived fact of individuals from diverse areas of the realm. by way of casting the web extensively this booklet not just expands the geographic achieve of reports, types and case reviews but in addition transcends the traditional concentrate on formal volunteering.
- The A to Z of Corporate Social Responsibility
- Journalism Ethics and Regulation
- Global Perspectives on Corporate Governance and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility)
- Making Globalization Good; The Moral Challenges of Global Capitalism
- America’s Culture of Professionalism: Past, Present, and Prospects
- Biobanks: Governance in Comparative Perspective
Extra resources for Agriculture's Ethical Horizon
Eliminating harm to other plant and animal species. , 2004). Ending the detrimental effect of agriculture on other species. Ending water pollution and mining water for irrigation. ), but these are not things that fall directly within agriculture’s purview. To begin to work on the problems that agriculture can work on, we must learn how. ” What is produced merely increases our power to act without affecting our power “to act humanely, cooperatively, and rationally” (Maxwell, 1992). Modern technology that permits one person to do the work of a thousand also permits that person to wreak the environmental havoc of a thousand (Peterson, 1978).
It also has to be ecologically, socially, culturally, and politically acceptable. Lubchenko (1998) said that the goal of obtaining a more sustainable biosphere means obtaining that which is ecologically sound, economically feasible, and socially just. ” The agricultural community knows that our modern agricultural system is very productive but not always profitable for those who produce. It has been quite profitable for corporations that create and sell agricultural technology and for many large farms.
3. The definition of intellectual progress should be expanded from progress in knowledge to include progress in ideas relevant to achieving a sustainable, wise world. 4. The intellectual domain of science which has consisted of evidence and theory should be expanded to include research aims. Scientific discussion should be expanded to include discussion of the effects of scientific achievements on life; all life, not just human life, for example, the advent of pesticides in agriculture and their relationship to the state of the environment and the health of other creatures.